John Stirling Minister 1648-1727
Notes: Principal, University of Glasgow, 1701-1727. Minister of Inchinnan, 1691-1694 Minister of Greenock West, 1694-1701. Son of John Stirling d.1683.
Within The Old West Kirk there is a brass plaque which lists its ministers from 1591 to 1832: the heading is a reminder of its historic beginning:
Under a Charter of King James VI Given at Holyrood House November 18th, 1589 This Church was built by Sir John Shaw of Greenock in 1591. The Ministers of the Church: *Andrew Murdo (1591) *John Layng (1598) *James Taylor (1640) *Niel Gillies (1679) *Alexander Gordon (1688) *John Stirling (1694) *Andrew Turner (1704) *David Turner (1721) *Allan McAulay (1786) *Robert Steele (1792) *Patrick McFarlane, D.D. (1832) Disused in 1841 after having been for 250 years the Parish Church and for (150) of these the only church in Greenock. Restored and re-opened on Christmas Day 1864 through the liberality of the parishioners." Presented by James Rankin, M.A. Ordained Minister here July 21st, 1865.
- See Fasti Ecclesiae Scotticanae